New recipes

Drunken Munkey to Donate Sales to Family of Killed Employee

Drunken Munkey to Donate Sales to Family of Killed Employee

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Buddhi Thapa was struck by an SUV near the New York restaurant

Buddhi Thapa had recently brought his family over from Nepal.

Shortly before Thanksgiving, an employee of the new Upper East Side restaurant Drunken Munkey was struck and killed by an SUV a few blocks from the restaurant. In his honor, the restaurant will be donating all money from food sales on Monday, Dec. 16 and Tuesday, Dec. 17 to his mourning family.

The employee, Buddhi Thapa, hailed from Nepal, and he had recently been able to bring his wife and four children over to the U.S. to join him.

The restaurant is located at 338 East 92nd Street, between First and Second Avenues, and has been open for only a couple of months. Inspired by India’s colonial period, the menu combines Indian and British cuisine with dishes like pork vindaloo and British-style beef stew with Indian spices. Drinks include modern interpretations of colonial Indian cocktails, like the classic East India and Singapore Sling.

So drop by on Monday or Tuesday, sample the creative menu, and help Thapa’s family overcome this devastating loss.

AmazonSmile donations help Cascadia Elementary PTA support our students&rsquo growth by contributing to our general fund. This fund supports everything from library books to instrumental music, from teacher classroom grants to community-building events for our more than 500 students in grades 1-5. Through our special programs, students participate in gardening, songwriting, and volunteer projects.

Auto mechanic shop worker killed when SUV falls from lift

An employee was crushed to death after an SUV fell off a lift at a mechanic shop Friday afternoon in Spring, according to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

An employee was crushed to death after an SUV fell off a lift at an auto mechanic shop Friday afternoon in Spring, according to the Harris County Sheriff&rsquos Office.

Spring firefighters arrived at the scene at 3:05 p.m. at Uptown Motor Works in the 3800 block of Louetta Road.

The employee was dead when authorities arrived. The black Mercedes SUV that had fallen on top of the employee was raised when first responders arrived, according to the sheriff&rsquos office.

It is unclear what caused the SUV to fall off the mechanic&rsquos lift, detectives said.

The name and age of the employee has not yet been released to the public.

Drunken Munkey to Donate Sales to Family of Killed Employee - Recipes

25+ more COVID-19 patients discharged in Virginia

Man arrested days after missing mother found dead

Horse injured in fiery I-95 wreck that killed owner dies

A wild ride for Mickelson and 18 holes away from history

Study: Schools with mask mandates had lower COVID case rates

Students line up at first weekend vaccination clinic for kids

Motorcyclist killed in crash with pickup truck

Judge sets bond for church deacon charged with raping child

Biden to host George Floyd's family at White House

Boy, 8, dies 2 days after boat collision on Virginia river

Widow tired of dodging bullets in Richmond neighborhood

COVID-19 in Virginia: 3 new outbreaks reported Saturday

New COVID-19 cases plummet to lowest levels since last June

White House vibe returns to hugging, no masks

Leaving home: West Virginia population drop is largest in US

The first named storm of the Atlantic tropical season has formed

COVID-19 in Virginia: 4.4 million+ have 1st dose 3.5 million+ fully vaccinated

40+ more COVID-19 patients discharged in Virginia

Will you need a COVID-19 booster shot? Officials weigh in

Epstein guards to skirt jail time in deal with prosecutors

Chesterfield woman waits seven months for VEC to act

Google announces plan to open Google Store this summer in New York

Henricus Historical Park explores crime and punishment

Biden, South Korea's Moon 𧷮ply concerned' about NKorea

Apple CEO Tim Cook faces tough questions about app store competition

Judge: Dakota Access line can stay open pending Corps review

To meet vaccine goal, Virginia to focus on young populations

America doesn't have enough truck drivers

Wildlife conservationists: Pledge to address climate crisis is a good first step

Family of boy killed at Disney World urges organ donation

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — A Nebraska couple whose 2-year-old son died tragically at Walt Disney World nearly five years ago wants more families to consider donating their children's organs if their child is ever facing death.

Matt and Melissa Graves created the Lane Thomas Foundation after their son was killed by an alligator in 2016. The Omaha couple said they decided to focus on pediatric organ donation because they wanted to help other families fighting for their children's lives and they wanted to help kids because their son loved other children.

“Because we know the pain of losing a child, we wanted to focus on an issue where we believe we can help prevent other parents from knowing our pain. We chose pediatric organ donation because we saw those families struggling with very limited resources to care for their children," Matt and Melissa Graves said in a statement.

Lane Thomas Graves was playing on a beach outside Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa in June 2016 when an alligator grabbed him and dragged him into the lake. He was gathering sand for a sand castle when the alligator attacked. Matt Graves jumped into the water but was unable to rescue his son. Lane’s body was found 16 hours later.

At Disney World, a sculpture of a lighthouse similar to the one the foundation uses as its logo was later erected near where Lane was killed.

Matt and Melissa Graves say they want parents to talk about organ donation long before they ever face the unthinkable prospect of their child dying.

“No parent is prepared to lose a child ever. The loss is unbearable,” Matt Graves said. “Organ donation may seem like a hard choice to make. … But people who donate their child’s organs are heroes.”

The Graves family's foundation is moving beyond the small-scale donations it has been making so far to families with children undergoing transplants in Omaha to raise awareness nationally about the need for pediatric organ donation. They cite statistics saying that roughly 100, of the nearly 2,000 children on the national transplant waiting list, die each year while waiting. Finding transplant organs for children is challenging because the pool of donors is so small.

“The real and ever-present issue the foundation is trying to address is . the donor organ availability which is markedly limited,” said University of Nebraska Medical Center Chancellor Dr. Jeffrey Gold, who serves on the foundation's board.

Even though the foundation is small, Gold said he believes it can get more people to consider organ donation with its plan to tell the stories of parents who donated their child's organs and the families that received them, and that can make a difference.

“Anything that can be done to reduce time on these waiting lists for both for adults and children will be lifesaving and produce a stress relief that is immeasurable,” Gold said.

The foundation, which has nearly $5 million in assets and two part-time employees, created a public service announcement focused on Lauressa Gillock of North Platte, Nebraska, meeting the now 7-year-old boy from McComb, Mississippi, who received her daughter’s heart. Gillock said organ donation helped ease the pain of losing her 3-year-old daughter to brain cancer in 2015 because she knew her daughter's organs helped five people.

“I’m so grateful that I have this to help me in my grief process,” Gillock said. “It’s such an honor to have been part of that decision and to know that these families were pleading for a savior and my daughter was the savior. What better honor.”

Since the foundation was created, it has helped pay travel and living expenses for nearly 100 families being treated in Omaha. That included donating $112,275 to 30 families in 2019, according to the foundation's tax forms.

Families of children getting transplants typically have to spend weeks or months in Omaha after an operation, and the long recovery time often forces one parent to take leave from their job or quit to be with the child. Gillock said those grants really help families.

“The Lane Thomas Foundation is amazing to help these families that are going through organ donation to not worry about financials. It should never be an issue when your child is on their deathbed. Never,” she said.

How to Support Restaurants and Their Workers Right Now

We spend a lot of time writing about, thinking about, and, of course, eating at restaurants. So, as city and state governments impose curfews, limit the capacities of establishments, and close bars and restaurants entirely, we’re asking a lot questions: Will the restaurants we know and love be able to reopen in a post-COVID-19 world? How will the cooks, servers, bussers, and bartenders who staff those restaurants make it through the coming weeks and months with no income?

The people who have fed us when we’ve needed comfort, popped bottles for us when we’ve had cause to celebrate, and brought pizza to our doorstep every other night of the week need relief— and fast. So we’ve put together this list of resources for anyone who wants to support restaurants, bars, and their staff during this unprecedented time. We want to be clear—it will take more than buying a T-shirt to save the restaurant industry. Whether or not you have the resources to make a donation or buy a gift card, contact your elected officials and tell them not to forget about the restaurant industry. Here’s what else you can do to help:

Spa shooting suspect’s parents helped authorities catch him

Once Cherokee County deputies received a surveillance capture of Robert Aaron Long leaving Young’s Asian Massage near Acworth Tuesday afternoon, the trail of the suspected killer grew red hot.

Long’s parents contacted the Cherokee sheriff’s office to identify their son. They also informed deputies that a tracking device could lead authorities to his vehicle, a Hyundai Tucson. Cherokee sheriff’s spokesman Jay Baker said he didn’t know why Long was being tracked, or if he was aware of it.

They do know that, without the GPS tracker, and his parents’ cooperation, Long, accused of fatally shooting eight people Tuesday at three metro Atlanta massage parlors, would not have been apprehended so quickly, Baker said. Long was captured in Crisp County, about 150 miles south of Atlanta, en route to Florida, “perhaps to carry out additional shootings,” Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said at a press conference Wednesday.

“This could’ve been significantly worse,” Bottoms said. “It’s very likely there would’ve been more victims.”

Long, 21, told police he battled a sexual addiction and frequented the three parlors where the victims, all but two Asian women, were shot and killed. Baker said investigators do not believe Long was driven by racial animus.

Baker said Long viewed Florida as a hub for the porn industry and “an outlet for something he shouldn’t be doing,” Baker said. The Atlanta area spas were “temptations to him he wanted to eliminate,” said Baker.

As Cherokee deputies were meeting with Long’s parents, Atlanta police were responding to a robbery call at Gold’s Spa on Piedmont Road. They arrived to find three dead bodies at Gold’s and another across the street, at Aromatherapy Spa. Atlanta police were able to use video footage to identify Long’s car parked outside both locations at the time of the shootings.

Long was heading south at this time. The Georgia State Patrol and Crisp County Sheriff Bill Hancock, contacted by Cherokee Sheriff Frank Reynolds, were waiting for him.

Around 8:30 p.m., troopers and Crisp deputies spotted Long’s dark-colored Hyundai heading south on I-75 near Cordele. After a short chase, troopers performed a PIT maneuver, in which they force a fleeing car to turn sideways abruptly, causing the driver to lose control and stop. Long was arrested without incident.

Police found a 9 MM firearm in his vehicle. He purchased the gun from Big Woods Goods in Holly Springs, the store confirmed.

“We’re cooperating with the ATF and local enforcement,” said an employee who didn’t give his name. “That’s pretty much all we’re willing to say right now.”

Police say Long admitted to the killings and said he was acting alone. He was transferred back to Cherokee County, where he will be arraigned Thursday.

“He was pretty much fed up, at the end of his rope and this was a very bad day for him and this is what he did,” Baker said.


How does the Oxford-Astrazeneca vaccine work?

The Oxford-Astrazeneca vaccine is made with a common cold virus from a chimp, known as an adenovirus.

It is genetically modified to be harmless to humans.

Researchers also tweaked the adenovirus to contain a copy of the genetic code from the SARS-CoV-2 which is responsible for making the Covid spike protein.

Spike proteins protrude from the surface of the coronavirus and latch onto receptors on human cells, hijacking the ACE2 pathway and infiltrating cells.

The spikes are also integral in how the body's immune system recognises the pathogen and attacks it.

In the case of the vaccine, the chimp adenovirus — as well as other ingredients to stabilise the solution — is injected into a person's arm.

Once inside the body, the harmless adenovirus infects the person's own cells which then read the embedded virus genetic code and manufacturers spikes which sick out from their own surface.

This is the key step as the spikes imitate the coronavirus, without posing any risk of infection or disease.

As a result, the human immune system flags it as an intruder and begins attacking it, releasing white blood cells and trying to manufacture antibodies to neutralise the foreign object.

Once it does this, the immune system remembers how best to latch onto the spike protein and defeat the virus for future reference.

Then, if a person does contract the real virus, their body rapidly reacts and fights off the infection. This is immunity.

This way of fighting off viruses has been in use for more than a decade, and has been used to make vaccines to other infections, such as flu and MERS.

However, the method is slower to adapt than the other form of vaccine, which are based on mRNA, which are being made by Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna.

Subsequently, an Oxford vaccine that can target new variants will not be ready until later this year.

The vaccine is called ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 and is given as two-doses.

The second dose is given 4-12 weeks after the first dose.

The key to a successful vaccine is ensuring the imitation spike protein it produces is as close to that of the real virus as possible.

There are several ways to do this, including the mRNA method of both Pfizer/BioNtech and Moderna and an inactivated whole virus.

But the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab uses a different technique based on a common cold virus found in chimps.

The team inactivated the ape virus and inserted a piece of the coronavirus' genetic code into it which is responsible for the production of the critical spike protein.

The coronavirus spike protein is how the virus infects people. The nefarious protein attaches to the common ACE2 receptor on human cells and hijacks it, using it as a gateway to infect human cells.

But while the spike protein is how SARS-CoV-2 infects people, it is also how it is most easily recognised.

Once a person receives the Oxford jab, known as the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine, their cells then get infected by the harmless modified chimp virus.

Then, the person's own cells read the coronavirus' genetic code and produce a replica of the spike protein on their surface.

How accurately these mimic spikes resemble those of the virus determine the robustness of a person's immunity.

The concern for vaccine developers and academics is that new variants of coronavirus, such as those first spotted in Brazil and South Africa, have specific mutations which change the shape of the spike.

This, they believe, could lower immunity provided by vaccines as the new spike seen on variants is significantly different to that of the vaccine.

Therefore, the person who has been inoculated has antibodies which do not work on the new strain, rendering them unprotected and vulnerable to infection.

Studies and trials have found that the Oxford jab does work against the emerging strains, but not as well as it does against the original version of the disease and the Kent strain.

The jab is under scrutiny for a concerning link to blood clots in younger people MPS today said Britain's drug regulator the MHRA must urgently finish its review into the link between the Covid vaccine and a rare brain blood clot called CVST.

Last night Oxford University halted trials of its coronavirus vaccine in children until the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) concluded on its safety in younger people, with formal advice expected in as early as today.

Health watchdogs continue to probe the link between the jab and CVST, which can lead to a stroke, with the European medical regulators set to announce the conclusions of their investigation at 3pm.

Germany has already temporarily banned the vaccine for under-60s and France making the same controversial move for under-55s.

Dogged determination

Wicke says the morning after finding the scrapbook, she phoned the Cowboys' headquarters and was routed to a public relations intern.

Wicke says the intern twice asked her how to spell Meredith, "so she could check her computer to see if he actually played for the Cowboys."

(Sigh. Shouldn't every Cowboys employee, regardless of department or age or gender, be required to know who Don Meredith was?)

According to Wicke, the intern discussed the situation with her boss, then phoned back and suggested mailing the scrapbook to the Cowboys.

"I said to myself, 'Yeah, that's not going to happen,' " Wicke recalls.

Wicke then sent an email to me that began, "I'm emailing you with an odd story (and I'm contacting you because you wrote an obituary story on Don Meredith for the DMN). I need your help! . "

I replied that I would gladly email Meredith's widow, Susan Meredith, and also forward Wicke's email.

Potentially, it would be quite a Christmas surprise, coming from a Samaritan named Noel, no less.

Christmas and two weeks of January passed, however, without a reply from Susan.

Disappointed but undeterred, Wicke moved to Plan C. She contacted the Franklin County Historical Association in Mount Vernon. She made plans to donate the scrapbook to the Don Meredith Exhibit, on the ground floor of Mount Vernon's Fire Station Museum.

The museum is just off the town square, near the site where Meredith's father, Jeff, owned a dry goods store. Less than half a mile from the museum is the Kaufman Street home in which Jeff and Hazel raised Don and older brother (by five years) Billy Jack.

Monday Night Football viewers in the 1970s and early '80s frequently heard Don describe himself as "Jeff and Hazel's baby boy and Billy Jack's little brother from Mount Vernon, Texas."

Among the photos in the Meredith scrapbook Wicke discovered is one of Mount Vernon's 1946-47 grade school team, with 9-year-old Don in the front row and Billy Jack in the back.

In an email, Franklin County Historical Association director Elaine McFeely thanked Wicke for contacting the museum, adding, "I'm happy that this little treasure will make it back to the fold."

McFeely assured Wicke that Susan Meredith would be informed of the scrapbook and would be able to see it during one of her several annual visits to Mount Vernon and the cemetery in which Don is buried.

Hazel died in 1988, Jeff in 1991 and Billy Jack in 2013.

Wicke is a New York City native who has spent most of her life on the East Coast. She says she started her working career in the corporate world, but these days she's a clinical administrative assistant and privacy officer at Gould Farm in Massachusetts' southwest corner.

It is a working 650-acre dairy farm that also is the nation's first residential therapeutic community, dedicated to helping adults with mental health issues through community living and clinic care.

But of all the Cape Cod visitors who could have stumbled upon the Meredith scrapbook, Wicke was uniquely qualified to recognize its significance.

She lived in North Texas from 1979 to 1981, after her geologist husband was transferred to a Dallas energy company.

She says she worked at the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau until her boss, David Gregory, was recruited by Lamar Hunt to become public relations director of the new Texas Sports Hall of Fame in Grand Prairie. Wicke accompanied Gregory to Grand Prairie and was part of the small staff that organized and opened the hall on May 23, 1981.

"On the day it opened, all of the press wanted to talk to Lamar and Amon Carter," recalls Wicke with a laugh. "I went into David Gregory's office and there was Lamar Hunt, sitting on the floor in a corner, eating an ice cream cone.

"He said, 'Noel, sometimes I just want to get away from everybody and have an ice cream cone.' "

That Hall of Fame was shuttered in 1986. It reopened in 1993 in Waco, where it has remained.

When she found the Meredith scrapbook, Wicke recalled her time at the Hall of Fame, how every donated artifact had been meticulously cataloged and marked.

The scrapbook, by contrast, was in its original state, letters still in envelopes, some photos tucked into plastic, others loose between pages. Before repacking the contents for shipping, Wicke photographed as much as she could, in case the contents got lost in transit.

"I thought, 'OK, there's a reason it came to me,' " she says. "And I'm going to have to help this poor lost thing get back home."

Officials: Man killed his mother, stepfather and 2 deputies in Watauga County, N.C. mass shooting

WATAUGA COUNTY, N.C. (AP/WBTV) - Authorities say a man killed his mother, stepfather and two deputies during an hours-long standoff in Watauga County Wednesday. A third officer was also shot in the standoff.

Deputies say 32-year-old Isaac Alton Barnes is suspected of killing 36-year-old Sgt. Chris Ward, 25-year-old K-9 Deputy Logan Fox, 61-year-old Michelle Annette Ligon and 58-year-old George Wyatt Ligon.

Barnes, who is the son and stepson of the Michelle and George Ligon, died at the scene. He is believed to have died from a self inflicted gunshot wound.

The two deputies were shot while responding to a welfare check at a home on Hardaman Circle in Boone after the homeowner and his family did not go to work or respond to phone calls. Deputies entered the residence after discovering all vehicles belonging to the residents were on the property.

The standoff began around 9:44 a.m. Wednesday and ended just before 11 p.m.

Watauga County Sheriff’s Office K-9 deputy Logan Fox was shot and died at the scene, officials say. Sgt. Chris Ward died from his gunshot wounds after he was taken to Johnson City (Tenn.) Medical Center.

Deputy Logan Fox is a two-year veteran of the Watauga County Sheriff’s Office. He was a K-9 officer who handled Watauga County Sheriff’s Office K-9 “Raven.” Prior to working at the Watauga County Sheriff’s Office as a full-time deputy, he served as full-time deputy with the Ashe County Sheriff’s Office.

Sgt. Chris Ward is an eight-year veteran in the field of law enforcement. He married his high school sweetheart and is a father of two, ages 19 and 5. He began his career at the Beech Mountain Police Department in 2013, later moving on to the Watauga County Sheriff’s Office where he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant.

During an initial rescue attempt of the deputies, one Boone Police Officer was hit by gunfire. The Boone Officer was protected by his ballistic helmet and uninjured.

There were actually two items that saved the officer’s life. A shield blocked one bullet and the helmet deflected the other.

Deputies said as officers entered the home for the welfare check, a person inside the home started shooting.

Watauga County Sheriff Len Hagaman spoke to media briefly on Thursday afternoon.

“We heard on the radio, heard the dispatch go out for this welfare check on the parents, the mother and this stepfather - and so you know they went out,” Sheriff Hagaman said. “Next thing we know they’re saying “officer down!” and everybody went boom.

Officials say two medical helicopters were called in. One deputy, Ward, was flown out before he died. A second one, identified as Fox, remained at the scene.

“This is an incredibly tragic situation and our thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved as well as their families and our community,” said Watauga County Sheriff Len Hagaman. “I greatly appreciate the tremendous support we are receiving from law enforcement agencies across the region and the state.”

Sheriff Hagaman says he’s convinced the suspect was planning to do something violent in nature - not particularly targeting officers - but possibly the public in general.

The sheriff says officers thought they were going into one situation and instead, the suspect was there.

“He was at the house, which we didn’t think he would be,” the sheriff said.

Sheriff Hagaman says the department has had some encounters with this suspect before - as they just had calls about this person Sunday.

“There was familiar concern that he might try to do something,” Sheriff Hagaman said.

The sheriff says the suspect had a fairly large arsenal of weapons.

Deputies said the shooter remained barricaded inside the home during the hours-long standoff, while periodically shooting in the direction of officers.

SWAT teams from across the state later came to assist in the standoff. WBTV captured a photo of SWAT team members praying ahead of time.

The SBI is handling the investigation and officials say it is ongoing. Investigators are trying to determine the motive for the shooting.

A search warrant, which was executed after the standoff ended, shows at least five guns were found inside the home, though it appears two of them were what the deputies were carrying.

There’s an indication that possibly one round was fired by the deputies but no confirmation of that.

Dozens of spent rifle shell casings were found outside where deputies were stationed during the standoff and a few spent rifle casings were found inside where the suspect fired at officers. The warrants do not say who fired what and when.

“I’m confident that we will get through this. It’s just a pretty rocky road right now,” Sheriff Hagaman said Thursday.

Nearby residents were evacuated, deputies say.

WBTV spoke to several Watauga County residents Wednesday night. Marco Hernandez said he has a friend who is a sheriff’s deputy, and was surprised to hear about what happened.

“It’s just heartbreaking to hear about that, especially just as we’re a small town. It is pretty heartbreaking,” said Hernandez.

NC House Rep. Ray Pickett says, “the deputies were ambushed.”

Kimberley Main, an employee at a local Dollar Tree store, said she remembers the last time a deputy was killed in Watauga County. 23-year-old William Mast was killed in a shooting in 2012. Main said Wednesday’s violence brings back bad memories for her.

“The Dollar Tree Family is praying for the families involved all the way around,” said Main. “We love you.”

As of Friday, the scene itself has been cleared. The bullet scarred home is empty for now. Neighbors say it’s hard to look at after what happened.

Before it happened, Jacob Shook says he was taking his daughter to a practice on Wednesday when he saw Sgt. Chris Ward and Logan Fox in the front yard of the home.

He knew both deputies and says “Chris waved when he saw me and I waved back.” It was just minutes after that when the two deputies were shot.

“It’s just horrific,” said Shook.

Law enforcement agencies supporting the Watauga County Sheriff’s Department at the scene included: Appalachian State University’s Police, Avery County Sheriff’s Office, Beech Mountain Police, Blowing Rock Police, Boone Police, Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office, Henderson County Sheriff’s Office, Hickory Police, Morganton Public Safety, North Carolina Alcohol Law Enforcement, North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, North Carolina State Highway Patrol, Transylvania County Sheriff’s Office, West Jefferson Police and Wilkes County Sheriff’s Office.

The Watauga County Sheriff’s Office was also assisted by a large number of Emergency Management Departments, Fire Departments, Emergency Medical Services, and Rescue Squads from the surrounding area. Samaritans Purse, Billy Graham Ministries and several area churches, including Mount Vernon Baptist Church, were also instrumental in supporting operations related to this incident.

Watch the video: Σε κλίμα οδύνης η κηδεία της 16χρονης στα Τρίκαλα (November 2022).